Friday, June 10, 2011

2009 Archive, Technology, MS Word

So, I tried to post the previous two entries by doing a cut & paste from my original Microsoft Word document into the "Compose" tab inside the "New Post" tab, inside the "Posting" tab within this Blog. But next to the "Compose" tab is an "Edit Html" tab to allow me to add things like bold, italics etc..

Imagine my surprise when the "Edit Html" box showed page after page of everything in the world (or at least in my computer) that Microsoft Word thought I might ever use in the original document. So I deleted the HTML, which also deleted the "Compose" text. Then I saved the original document as a ".txt" file --- no formatting. And again I did a cut & paste into the "Compose" box.

Imagine my surprise when the "Edit Html" box showed the same pile of ... uh ... stuff from Microsoft Word for the ".txt" file as it gave me for the original, formatted file. So, I thought, maybe it will work anyway and I saved the post, and tried to view it. But the BlogSpot software would not accept it, saying that "meta" is an invalid tag.

Again I deleted everything out of the box, and was forced to open the ".txt" file using textpad. Then the cut & paste gave me only what I typed, with no added HTML.

Dear Microsoft,
Just a suggestion. Stop your programs from vomiting up all kinds of irrelevant HTML whenever you "convert" simple text. Until you do, I cannot use your tools for word processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment