Friday, June 10, 2011

2009 Archive, Poetry, Late October version 13

Six O’clock in late October, I was home in Southern Dover.
But my girl was staying over with a friend ‘till ten, or more.
Soft at first, I heard a tapping, 'twas the sound of something snapping;
Someone very loudly rapping, knocking hard upon my door.
When I opened, I heard clapping, and a shout in one big roar,
“Trick or Treat, or this is war!”

There before me were a hundred, (or at least the few I numbered)
Frightful things had bounced or lumbered, up the walk for this uproar.
Through the shadows darkly growing, past the Jack-O-Lanterns glowing,
From the lawn, forever growing, came the children, more and more.
Wearing costumes, flashing, flowing, they converged to bargain for
Candy, coming door to door.

Having fed the Hordes of Hades, I befriended Lords and Ladies,
And rewarded all the 'Fraidies for their faintest "Either-Or."
Then I heard a ghostly booing from a herd of specters, ooh-ing,
but it sounded more like mooing than a haunting predator.
Still, I had no time for viewing as they faded from my door ---
Reappearing nevermore.

Eight O'Clock. I finished latching when I thought I heard a scratching,
So I leaped to answer, snatching, candy-bars enough to pour.
“Trick or Treat,” the Pirates thundered, as my head was nearly sundered
From my neck, and here I wondered how the house I would restore?
For the scurvy crew had blundered through the hall in search of more,
Candy apples from the store.

Barely were the shipmates loaded when the entryway exploded
Into shrieks that now foreboded --- Witches in the corridor.
Little had they need for glaring; dressed in black, they all were wearing
Clothes, with which they would be scaring me to give them even more.
But I did refrain from staring. --- As I rushed them out the door,
They demanded Petit Fours!

Gradually the evening melted. I was greeted, and then pelted,
By the wearer of a belted, widely-yawning dinosaur.
There were shiny Robots beeping, fuzzy yellow Chickens cheeping,
And some Ballerinas leaping --- pirouettes in pinafores.
Every other town is sleeping! Help me! Help me! I implore.
How I wish for Ellenore!

Ten O'clock. The night grew deeper, darker even than the reaper.
Still, I played my role as keeper of the Night's Ambassadors.
Through the house, I heard a yowling, coming from the back, a howling,
And they both commenced to prowling, chewing on the yard decor.
I came out to happy growling, threw the ball --- away they tore:
TRICK and TREAT, my Labradors.

Having kibbled each dark critter, watered them and made them fitter,
I returned as kitchen sitter; steaming cider yet to pour.
Salty taffy, Necco Wafers, Carmels, red-hots, hard jaw-breakers,
Popcorn balls for choosy takers, all of it went out before.
All that's left are sugar shakers, candy wrappers on the floor,
Egg shells on the house next door.

From the front, I heard a knocking, but it might have been the rocking
Of the Pendulum tick-tocking, in the clock upon the floor.
Silence grew and noise receded, then a quiet fear proceeded
To convince me that I needed one small breath of noise, or four.
Shivered slightly, I stampeded through the house to lock the door,
Where, oh where, is Ellenore?

Twelve O'Clock. I heard a dinging. Lightly, gently it was pinging,
But it wasn't my bell ringing. It's a faery at my door.
Midnight blue and violet blazing, laced with gold and scarlet crazing,
With her ten-foot wingspan waving, there's no doubt that she can soar.
"Who are you?" I think I'm raving. But it stuns me even more,
That I knew her heretofore!

Yet again I see the twinkles, starlight wrapped in velvet wrinkles,
Silver bells began their tinkles, on the flowing dress she wore.
What she said --- It left me reeling. I don't know just what I'm feeling.
Speaking clearly, her voice pealing, (though I closed and locked the door) ---
“Granted! One wish! For your healing. Since you've now been chosen for...
Halloween’s new troubadour.”

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,”
Having hosted many cheery witches, dogs, and ghosts galore ---
Yet once more, there was a knocking and my door, someone unlocking,
Opened wide and entered, walking, came the faery I adore.
Radiant, smiling, she was talking. "It's okay," said my 'Lenore,
“I still love you, evermore.”

P.S.
Version 23 of this poem is available in a picture book on Amazon.com or Createspace. See the blog header.

No comments:

Post a Comment